Google is not a conventional company, and we don’t intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, we’re committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Public Policy and Government Relations Manager (English, French)
About the Job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As a Public Policy and Government Relations Manager, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects. You’ll apply your experience to real-world scenarios, helping shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
As a member of Google’s Public Policy team in Sub-saharan Africa, you will help shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. You will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, contributing experience working with or in government, politics, or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues. You will also represent Google externally with government, regulators and third-parties and manage our local public policy strategy and campaigns, working with a cross-functional team of Google employees in Africa and with a closely-coordinated global Public Policy team.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop and lead public policy campaigns across the full range of policy areas that impact Google and the web (e.g., technology innovation, free expression, access, privacy, intellectual property, and copyright).
- Engage directly with politicians and policy-makers.
- Engage governments and other stakeholders, particularly on issues of regional relevance.
- Travel within the region.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with or in government, politics, or a regulatory agency.
- Ability to speak and write in French and English fluently and idiomatically.
- Experience in policy related to economic and digital growth, the impact of internet, and technology on society and economy.
- Knowledge of the tech sector or the key issues impacting the web (e.g., economic growth, intellectual property, innovation and entrepreneurship policy, online safety media policy, free expression).
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and manage projects and relationships in multiple countries.
- Ability to manage complex technical and policy issues.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and organizational skills.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit careers.google.com.