The WBG YPP is a starting point for an exciting career at the World Bank Group. Young Professionals are recruited from around the world with various academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC and MIGA.
The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across our institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
The WBG YPP is a unique opportunity for young professionals who have both a passion for international development/finance and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across the World Bank Group. The program is designed for highly qualified and motivated individuals who hold a graduate degree and are skilled in areas relevant to public and private sector development operations. These areas include economics, finance and political risk insurance in emerging markets, education, health, social sciences, infrastructure development, engineering, urban planning, agriculture, natural resource management and others.
Aim and Benefits of WBG Young Professionals Program
YPs are offered a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract. Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines.
The WBG YPP is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA. As part of the two-year curriculum, YPs undertake rotational assignments within their host organization, another WBG institution and/or a field office, where they gain valuable hands-on experience in different areas of our business. WBG YPs make significant contributions to their host unit’s work program, while building networks and knowledge of our policies and operations –on the job and in the classroom.
Young Professionals are likely to join colleagues on business trips to the field, also called ‘missions.’ These missions allow YPs to work on the frontlines of global development, learning key aspects of our work while directly engaging with clients in developing countries. In addition, as part of the WBG YPP curriculum, YPs are encouraged to take rotations in the field.
The WBG YPP curriculum has been designed to ensure that YPs develop a WBG mindset, the foundational knowledge to understand and contribute to our business and the competencies required for leadership development: collaboration, team-building, integrative thinking, innovation, and continuous learning.
The curriculum includes a blend of learning activities, in cohort, small group and individual settings, both online and in-person. Activities range from leadership training and career development workshops to networking, mentorship and conversations with WBG leadership.
Requirements for WBG Young Professionals Program Qualification
We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Born on or after October 1, 1988
- Master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialization in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Fluency in English
- The Banks Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
Graduate degree requirements vary by institution:
- For WB placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by June 30, 2020 or a PhD before September 2021.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree (ex: Master of Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, Science, and Engineering) before September 2021.
Professional experience requirements vary by institution:
- For WB placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement and team leadership skills
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Selection Criteria: We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate education, relevant professional experience, and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across our institutions.
Documents Required for Application
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must submit:
- Academic Transcripts*
- 2 Short Essays
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations**
Transcripts should display an expected graduation date, if currently enrolled.
Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to World Bank on www.worldbank.org to apply
Applications will reopen June 15 – July 15 for all profiles and from August 16 – September 20 for IFC and MIGA profiles only.
- Question 1 In 500 words or less, please tell us what inspires you to work at the World Bank Group and why you would be a good fit for the WBG YPP. You may incorporate your personal and professional experience (area of expertise, region or sector) in your answer.
- Question 2 In 500 words or less, please share your thoughts on the value of the new World Bank Group Young Professionals Program and why joint WBG solutions (public, public-private & private) to development challenges are so important.
For more details, visit WBG